David’s nearly half century of participation in the industry has provided him with a considerable array of experiences, which can be brought to the table to assist his clients in resolving current problems. He has been through the management, financial and legal challenges that arise as a firm begins and then navigates its way through changing business opportunities and market cycles. He has maintained P.E. registration in several states and has been the qualifying individual for his former company’s licenses in all states and remains a Certified General Contractor in Florida.
He has served as project manager or principal in charge of hundreds of projects valued in excess of one billion dollars and has completed projects for a number of Fortune 500 companies over the years. In 1981, he was a founding shareholder and guarantor of a Memphis based regional general contracting and construction Management Company and was the last original shareholder when the company ceased operations upon his retirement in 2012. He served nineteen years as Chairman of the Board of Trustees for AGC Comp Trust. He is one of four “Life Members” of Tennessee AGC.
David is a native of Dallas, TX and has resided in Memphis since 1957. He is a graduate of Memphis University School and then earned a Bachelor of Science Degree in Civil Engineering from the University of Virginia in 1969. He has served on a number of civic and church boards. He and his wife live in Memphis, but enjoy travel throughout the United States and have visited 40 foreign countries.
David C. “David” Dando, P.E.’s CV
Summary of Background
- Experience resolving issues for Insurance Carriers, Attorneys, Architects, Engineers, Contractors and Owners.
- Implemented and Expanded Operations, Accounting and Estimating Systems for meaningful controls.
- Experienced on numerous construction scheduling and software packages.
- Heavy involvement in marketing and pre-construction services for commercial construction projects.
- Estimated and Prepared Bids for Hundreds of Projects.
- Prepared and Maintained Critical Path Schedules for projects.
- Personal involvement either as Project Manager or Principal in Charge of over One Billion Dollars worth of construction.
- Leadership Team Member for local construction company from inception.
- Managed Project Managers and Superintendents and their assigned Construction Projects for Regional General Contractor.
- Spent over twenty years as Chairman of the Board of Trustees in helping to manage self-insured workers compensation insurance trust including underwriting, financial analysis, investment decisions, claims decisions and marketing.
Areas of Experience:
- Company President/Owner
- Executive Vice President
- Financial Management
- Negotiations with Sureties and Insurance Carriers
- Marketing and Client Presentations
- Contract Negotiation and Preparation
- Project Management and Document Preparation
- Formwork Design
- Mobilization Layout
- WC Insurance Underwriting & Mgt
- Field Problem Determination and Solutions
|1964||High School Diploma from Memphis University School, Memphis. TN.|
|1969||Bachelor of Science, Civil Engineering, University of Virginia|
|1973||Built-Up Roofing Systems Institute Seminar, Denver, CO|
|1989||Face Seminar in Concrete Flatwork Construction & Documentation|
|1989||Value Engineering Workshop, University of California, Berkley.|
|1993||CPM Training Seminar (Sure Trak), Salt Lake City, UT|
|2008||LEED AP Training Seminar, Philadelphia, MS|
|1990-Present||Continuing Education for Maintenance of Professional Licenses; ACI Seminars in Garage Design and Construction, Slab on Grade Design and Construction.|
- Licensed Professional Engineer:
- Florida – Inactive
- Texas – Retired
- General Contractor’s Licenses:
- Qualifier for General Contractor Credentials:
- North Carolina
- South Carolina
- LEED Accredited Professional
|2013 – Present||Consultant, Professional Construction Consulting, Inc.|
|2013 – Present||Construction Industry consultant serving attorneys, contractors, design professionals, project owners and sureties, Specializing in Claims, Cost Estimates, Schedules, Inspections and Project Analysis.|
|1991 – 2012||President of MCDR, Inc., Memphis, TN (formerly Martin, Cole, Dando & Robertson, Inc.):
|1986 – 1991||Executive Vice-President / Treasurer, Martin, Cole, Dando & Robertson, Inc., Memphis, TN (formerly Clark & Clark, Inc.):
|1977 – 1986||Project Manager Martin, Cole, Dando & Robertson, Inc., Memphis, TN (formerly Clark & Clark, Inc.)
Project Manager – Auto Dealerships, Branch Banks, Memphis
Project Manager – 11 Custom Townhouses Woodlands Condominium Project
Project Manager – Central Church, Memphis, TN
Project Manager – FEDEX Aircraft Related Training Center
Project Manager – FEDEX CAC Module J Call Center
|1976 – 1976||Secretary / Treasurer Pryor Construction, Inc., West Point, MS.
Project Manager – School of Architecture – MS State University
Project Manager – State Park Multi-Use Center – Columbus, MS
|1979 – 1980||Assistant Manager of Construction, Federal Compress and Warehouse Company, Memphis, TN.
Develop, Design, Construct Tilt-up Concrete Industrial Buildings
Renovate Wood Frame Cotton Warehouses
|1969 – 1971||Estimator / Project Manager, Allen & O’Hara, Inc., Memphis, TN.
Asst Project Manager – Plough, Inc. Headquarters, Memphis
Asst. Project Manager – First Tennessee Bank Operations Center, Memphis
Asst. Project Manager – Commerce Square Office Building, Memphis
Project Manager – Holiday Inn, Norwalk, Conn.
Project Manager – Howard Johnsons Hotel, Orlando, Florida
|1968 – 1969||Part-time Office / Clerical, University of Virginia, Office of Registrar.|
|1968 – 1968||Surveyor / Layout, Allen & O’Hara, Inc., NAS Memphis|
|1967 – 1967||Surveyor/ Layout, S & W Construction Co., Alcoa Aluminum, Alcoa, TN|
|1962 – 1966||Lab Technician and Street Construction Crew Foreman, Lehman-Roberts Co., Memphis, TN|
- Past Director of Associated General Contractors – Memphis Chapter (AGC).
- Past President of the Associated General Contractors – Memphis Chapter (AGC).
- Past President of the Associated General Contractors –State of Tennessee (AGC).
- Member, Associated General Contractors Comp -Trust Board of Directors.
- Past Chairman – Associated General Contractors Comp -Trust Board of Directors. (19 Years)
- Past Member, Accreditation Committee, American Council of Construction Education.
- Past Team Leader, American Council of Construction Education. (Total of 7 Accreditation Visits).
- Past Member of American Concrete Institute.
- Past Member of International Code Council.
- Labor Negotiator for local construction industry – Laborers Union and Cement Masons and Finishers Union.
- Former Member – Board of Trustees for Laborers Union (TN) Health and Welfare Benefits Fund
- Negotiated MCDR out of existing labor union contracts with no penalties.
- Past Member and Chairman of Board (5 years) for off-shore condominium project, Antigua, West Indies
- Member, Theta Tau Engineering Fraternity, University of Virginia, 1967-1969
Service and Civic Involvement:
- Former Commercial Arbitrator – American Arbitration Association (6 arbitration proceedings)
- Former Member and Chairman of Memphis Grain and Hay Association, Memphis, TN
- Former Board Member and Chairman of the Board, Agricenter International, Memphis, TN
- Former Member Board of Trustees, Lausanne School, Memphis, TN
- Former Member Board of Trustees, St. Mary’s Episcopal School, Memphis, TN
- Member of the Church of Holy Communion, Episcopal, Memphis, TN
- Former Vestry Member, Treasurer and Senior Warden, Church of the Holy Communion.
- Boy Scouts of America – Eagle Scout, God and Country Award
- Cessna Aircraft Ground School, Cessna 340, 1985
- Beechcraft Aircraft Ground School, King Air A-90, 1987
- Member of Memphis Chapter of U. S. Navy League
- Extensive Travel – Domestic (all 50 states) and International (over 40 foreign countries)