Bob’s experience in management of construction companies for over fifty years gives him a broad background in his field. Bob is an expert in scheduling and has deep roots in computerized costing and finance. His experience in construction management from industrial to large retail is extensive. He holds General Contractor Qualifier Credentials in four states. Bob brings to the table a unique ability to see the core values of a construction company and its ability to manage their construction.
He served at the helm of several large companies and successfully formed and managed his own company and later sold it to Knoxville’s second largest contractor. He then formed a consulting company and merged its operations with PC2 in 1993.
He has always stayed active in engineering and construction associations where he has served as Director, President and State President.
Bob is a native of North Dakota where he received his Bachelor of Science Degree in Civil Engineering from the University of North Dakota. Bob and his wife live in Knoxville, Tennessee, and have three grown sons.
Robert M. “Bob” Hillman’s CV
Summary of Background
- Experience resolving issues for Sureties, Architects and Owners.
- Developed proven job cost control systems merging Operations, Accounting and Estimating data for meaningful controls.
- Served as AAA Neutral.
- Twice worked on team to transition general contractors from Union Shop to Open Shop.
- Experienced on numerous construction scheduling and software packages.
- Designed bid strategy and change order tracking software systems.
- Developed unit price sales software for commercial construction / tenant build-out.
- Formed and built local construction company from inception.
- Managed Project Managers / Construction Projects for National General Contractor
- Developed operational and safety controls for four general contractors.
- Experienced as survey party chief for legal and construction surveys.
- Worked as audio engineer and TV cameraman for ABC Affiliate while in college.
- Registered Professional Photographer in North Dakota while in college.
Areas of Experience
- Company President/Owner
- Corporate Vice President, Operations
- General Manager/Majority Partner
- Corporate Manager of Construction Operations
- Project Manager
- Project Engineer
- Staff Engineer
- Staff Estimator
- Site & Property Surveyor
- Guest Lecturer at University of Tennessee
- 1966 Received a Bachelor of Science Degree from the University of North Dakota.
- Holds unlimited General Contractor exam credentials in North Carolina and South Carolina.
- Holds Commercial and Industrial General Contractor credentials In Tennessee.
|2013-Present||President, Professional Construction Consulting, Inc.|
|1993-2013||Merged Hillman Construction Consultants with Professional Construction Consulting, Inc. Professional Construction Consulting, Inc. is a larger firm with specialties in surety support, disputes resolution, construction management and cost estimating consulting.|
|1987 – 1993||Founder and Owner of Hillman Construction Consultants, Lenoir City, Tennessee. Management and construction specialist. Expertise in applying personal knowledge in general contracting, construction management and computer systems to the needs of contractors, Prime subcontractors, sureties and other consultants. Representative consulting assignments:
|1985–1987||Vice President of Operations for Johnson & Galyon, Inc., Knoxville, Tennessee. Modernized an old company’s operations to current industry standards. Brought in Hillman Corporation Project Managers to improve job costing systems and implement project management procedures and systems. Bargained to impasse with the unions and switched to an open shop. In taking Johnson & Galyon from a local market to a State-wide market they profitably completed two projects in Nashville, Tennessee.|
|1984 – 1985||President/Owner of Hillman Construction Corporation specializing in commercial construction.
General Contractor and Construction Manager for construction of the Brunswick Mall, Brunswick, GA. 165 msf mini mall, $5 M, 38 tenants.
|1980 – 1984||Founder, General Manager & Majority Partner, Hillman-Elder Construction, Knoxville, Tennessee. General Contractor specializing in commercial construction:
Pre-fabricated Kodak and Coca Cola Kiosks for World’s Fair
|1979 – 1980||Manager of Construction Operations, Rufus H. Smith and Company, Knoxville, Tennessee, a “turn-key” contractor. Managed the construction of three (3) turn-key projects apartment projects, 495 total units, $15 Million, ten month construction schedule “on-time”.|
|1969 – 1979||Manager of Construction Operations, Rentenbach Engineering Company, Knoxville, Tennessee. Directly supervised six Project Managers, administrative staff, warehousing and equipment managers. Reported directly to V.P. Operations. Manager of Commercial Construction Operations, Rentenbach Engineering Company, Knoxville, Tennessee. Supervised four (4) Project Managers and all national commercial construction accounts.Project Manager, Senior Engineer, Rentenbach Engineering Company, Knoxville, Tennessee. Representative projects:
|1968 – 1969||Staff Engineer, Harkness Corporation, Knoxville, Tennessee. Estimating, purchasing and scheduling for General Contractor.|
|1966 – 1968||Project Engineer, Firestone Tire & Rubber Co., Central Engineering Department, Akron, Ohio.
New plant construction, Newport, Tennessee, 160 msf, $3 M.
|1961 – 1966||Survey party chief, construction inspector and draftsman part-time while in college for City of Grand Forks Engineering Department, Grand Forks, North Dakota.|
- Past member of American Arbitration Association panel of Neutrals (AAA).
- Past Director of Associated General Contractors – Knoxville Chapter (AGC).
- Past President of the Tennessee Construction Coalition.
- Past Director of the Tennessee Construction Coalition (TCC).
- Founding Member of the Tennessee Construction Coalition (TCC).
- Past State President Associated Builders and Contractors (ABC).
- Past President Associated Builders and Contractors of East Tennessee (ABC).
- Past Director of Associated Builders and Contractors of East Tennessee (ABC).
- Past Member of Knoxville Technical Society
- Past Member of the Construction Specification Institute (CSI).
- Past Member of American Society of Civil Engineers.
- Past Member, Knoxville Chamber of Commerce.
Service and Civic Involvement:
- Board Member of Westland Court HOA.
- Past President of the Knoxville Amateur Youth Hockey Association.
- Past Coach & Board Member of Knoxville Amateur Youth Hockey Association.
- Past President of the Rocky Hill Little League Baseball Assn., Knoxville, TN.
- Past member of Lions Club International.
Available upon request